The Ohio Historical Society inhabits one of Columbus’ most architecturally significant buildings and are proud to have another currently on display.
The American Association of Architects Columbus has a assembled a list of 64 Columbus buildings in 4 categories. With online voting participants can select their favorite buildings in a contest dubbed the ArChallenge. In the Mid-20th Century category are two buildings close to the hearts of Ohio Historical Society staff, volunteers, and members: the Ohio History Center and the Lustron House.
The Ohio History Center is the Society’s headquarters at 800 E. 17th Ave. Since it opened in 1970 the Center has captured the interest of visitors and caught the eye of people driving by on Interstate 71. A prime example of brutalist architecture, the building itself has become an artifact to be preserved. Updates and changes to the building are in keeping with it’s architectural character.
Lustron houses were built in Columbus between 1948 and 1951. Constructed of porcelain-enameled steel, they were meant to be erected quickly and help fill the high demand for residential housing after World War II. At around 1,000 square feet, the houses were small by contemporary standards. A Lustron house is the center piece of the new exhibit 1950s: Building the American Dream.