This question was recently posed by a Cleveland Plain Dealer reader. In 1949 French citizens sent 50 boxcars to the United States filled with gifts to thank Americans for food and other relief supplies sent to Europe after World War II ended. They were called the “Gratitutde Train” or the “Merci Train.” After Ohio’s boxcar finished touring the state it was taken to Camp Perry, an Ohio National Guard camp located near Port Clinton, Ohio.
A variety of items that were displayed in the train are preserved at the Ohio Historical Society.
Museum objects include:
Archival collections include:
The Merci des Enfants materials include essays, phonograph recordings, and original artwork by French children expressing their thanks accompanied by papers explaining the Merci Train project.
For the full story see The Cleveland Plain Dealer.